There is currently a high demand in the criminal justice field; which means there are plenty of new and promising careers. These promising careers all offer excellent job security and high entry level salaries and benefits. Criminal justice encompasses so many different specialties, which means there is no shortage of opportunity and advancement in these fields.
- Did you know that the word forensic means “pertaining to law?” Therefore, forensic science seeks to solve legal problems through the use of scientific principles. Everything about the forensic science field from the Bureau of Labor Statistics
- This website is a resource guide for students interested in knowing about the education and training necessary to entering the forensic science field. The research conducted within this article recommends that forensic scientists pursue additional trainings throughout their career in order to continue advancing. Click here to view this resource from the National Criminal Justice Reference Service
- Some colleges have higher rated Forensic Science programs than others. It’s important to research schools to make sure that a future career in this field is supported by a strong education. This site features information on colleges offering forensic science degrees and trainings
- Author Matt Huss stresses how the demand for forensic psychologists is rapidly growing and expanding. This is an interesting article that details what forensic psychology is and what it entails.
- An ABPP diploma is nationally recognized as the standard of professional competence within the field of forensic psychology. This website discusses the importance of the ABPP diploma
- Detailed information on the average annual earnings for those employed within the forensic psychology field ($57,000 a year). More salary info in the field of Forensic Psychology
- It is important for students to note that most states only hire forensic psychologists with a doctoral degree. Educational information for anyone interested in pursuing forensic psychology.
Law enforcement/ Police Officer
- It is helpful for anyone interested in pursuing the law enforcement field to have the proper salary expectations..This website features a police officer salary calculator, categorized by state.
- Resource guide to a career as a police officer. It includes information on education and training, salary and benefits, career outlook, special skills, and working conditions. It is crucial that students understand that physical fitness if an imperative part of this career, physical training and exercise are necessary to excelling in this field.
- There are certain disqualifiers (felony charges) when it comes to enter the law enforcement career sector. It is imperative to familiarize with the requirements to ensure entry to the field.Info from the Sacramento Police Dept. on preparing for a law enforcement career
Law Enforcement/FBI Agent
- The FBI website features all the necessary information for anyone interested in becoming an FBI agent. It details all the requirements which includes critical thinking skills, test scores, and physical fitness. It also explains the application process and includes a frequently asked questions section. This website also offers salary and benefits information.FBI info on becoming a special agent
- An entry level FBI agent can make approximately $40,000 per year, however, more experienced agents can earn up to $80,000- 90.000 per year.Salary info for FBI Agents with Masters Degrees
- The application to the FBI is one of the most selective in the entire nation.An article about the day in the life of a FBI agent
- Students don’t need to focus primarily on criminal justice in order to purse law. Students can receive a BA or BS in any field and still apply to law school. Just focus on getting good grades.Information for high school students interested in pursuing a career as a lawyer.
- American Bar Association contains a whole resource section reserved specifically for lawyers, it contains legal profession statistics (74% of all lawyers work in within a private practice) and a career center.Resources for lawyers from the American Bar Association
- Information on the average annual salary for a criminal defense lawyer (ranges from between $60,000 to $120,000).
- This website is designed specifically for students applying to law school, it features the top law colleges in 2012 (the top three schools include: Yale, Stanford, and Harvard).Information on the top Law Schools in the country.
- The Department of Homeland Security website offers current jobs openings, types of jobs offered, history, and information regarding this exciting career path. This department employees over 240,000 people, all with the mission of keeping American safe.Careers at the Department of Homeland Security
- When looking into a career in Homeland Security, it is important to know the requirements and opportunities for those interested in this career path. There are more initiatives being launched which means that this career is expected to grow through the year 2018.Information on selecting a career in homeland security.
- The Dept of Homeland Security was started in 2001 and it has grown to employ over 183,000 professionals, demonstrating a demand for these positions.
- The Government Accountability Office features the recent accomplishments (addressing the obstacles in immigration reform) of the Homeland Security Department in Washington DC.Info on Homeland Security and Justice careers.
- The average annual income for someone employed in homeland security ($70,000).View more salary information here
- The Committee of National Security Systems was formerly known as the National Security Telecommunications and Information Systems Security Committee.
- DHS.got has information on The National protection and Progrmas Directorate’s national Cyber Security Division ( NCSD). Including how to apply.
- This website lists different specialties and opportunities for those interested in pursuing computer security (Computer Network Operations, Information Systems Security, and Vulnerability Discovery).Info from the National Security Agency on career fields in Computer Science
- It is important to be familiar with the duties, expectations, knowledge, education, and advancement opportunities for a Computer Security Specialist. It is imperative that anyone entering this field have strong mathematical, logic and reasoning skillAn example of a career guide for a computer security specialist.
- Website features information on annual yearly salaries ($71,000 per year) for those working within the computer security sector.View more cyber security salary information here
- Educational and physical requirements are essential for those looking to become a Correction Officer. All recruits need to be US citizens as well as 21 years of age. It is also important that recruits have a clean record, not past felony or misdemeanor charges.This website provides a job description and requirements for a corrections officer recruit.
- This website features a competency profile (excellent communication skills and management capability) for someone within the corrections field.Understand exactly what is expected and required of someone in this job.
- The Federal Bureau of Prisons details qualifications (a BA or BS from an accredited university) and working conditions.This site features a job description for a corrections officer within the prison sector.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics details the average annual salary for correctional officers ($39,020 per year).
- The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement is the biggest investigative agency in the Department of Homeland Security.This website offers a brief overview about a career as a customs agent.
- CBP.gov features requirements, qualifications, and certifications necessary to entering this career path. Students must pass the Customs Broker License Examination. Then submit a broker license application and then be approved by the CBP.Information for custom agents who might be interested in becoming custom brokers.
- Education Portal explains all the necessary steps which includes obtaining a BA in a criminal justice field, and attaining experience through government related volunteer work or internships.Detailed and thorough information for anyone interested in becoming a customs officer.
- The American Customs Association has information on the tests necessary to becoming a customs broker officer; Find information on signing up for their continuing education classes.
Border Patrol Agents
- Border Patrol is responsible for the 6,000 miles of Mexican and Canadian international borders as well as 2,000 miles of coastal waters.This website features information on what to expect as a border patrol agent
- OPM.gov has a detailed and thorough qualification and requirements list for border patrol agents (a four year degree is not required but the individual must pass a three section exam).View the list here
Anyone accepted into the Border Patrol program will need to attend a five month training.